Current:Home > ContactMcDonald's CEO says Israel-Hamas war is having a "meaningful" impact on its business -Capitatum
McDonald's CEO says Israel-Hamas war is having a "meaningful" impact on its business
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:09:30
McDonald's CEO Chris Kempczinski said the restaurant chain is seeing a "meaningful business impact" in the Middle East and elsewhere related to the Israel-Hamas war.
In a letter posted to LinkedIn, the executive said Thursday that "misinformation" related to the conflict has affected several of McDonald's markets across the world. Companies including McDonald's and Starbucks have faced boycott campaigns from both pro-Palestinian and pro-Israel groups over their perceived support for one side or the other following Hamas' Oct. 7 attack on Israel.
"This is disheartening and ill-founded," Kempczinski said in the letter.
Kempczinski didn't disclose how much the conflict has hurt sales. McDonald's is expected to report its earnings later this month, which could reveal more about the effect of the conflict on its operations.
McDonald's did not immediately respond to CBS MoneyWatch's request for comment.
McDonald's came under fire this fall after one of its Israel-based restaurants offered discounts to Israeli military personnel, prompting some customers to boycott the burger joint. Some of the company's franchises in Pakistan and Indonesia have made donations to aid organizations in Gaza, Al Jazeera reported.
More than half of McDonald's restaurants are located outside the U,S., with many of those restaurants locally operated franchises, according to the company's data.
Last fall, supporters of Palestine boycotted and vandalized several Starbucks stores, decrying what they characterized as the company's support for Israel. Around the same time, the coffee chain also drew criticism from pro-Israel groups in the U.S., with the Orthodox Jewish Chamber of Commerce calling for a boycott after the Starbucks Workers United expressed support for Hamas' cause.
In a letter to employees last month, Starbucks CEO Laxman Narasimhan expressed concern about the impact of rising tensions over the conflict.
"While I am grateful for so much, I am concerned about the state of the world we live in, " Narasimhan said. "There are conflicts in many parts. It has unleashed violence against the innocent, hate and weaponized speech and lies — all of which we condemn."
- In:
- Starbucks
- McDonald's
Elizabeth Napolitano is a freelance reporter at CBS MoneyWatch, where she covers business and technology news. She also writes for CoinDesk. Before joining CBS, she interned at NBC News' BizTech Unit and worked on the Associated Press' web scraping team.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Mike Tyson employs two trainers who 'work like a dream team' as Jake Paul fight nears
- The Fate of Hoda Kotb and Jenna Bush Hager's Today Fourth Hour Revealed
- New Pentagon report on UFOs includes hundreds of new incidents but no evidence of aliens
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- NFL Week 11 picks straight up and against spread: Will Bills hand Chiefs first loss of season?
- Who will save Florida athletics? Gators need fixing, and it doesn't stop at Billy Napier
- Natural gas flares sparked 2 wildfires in North Dakota, state agency says
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Louisiana man kills himself and his 1-year-old daughter after a pursuit
Ranking
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Beyoncé has released lots of new products. Here's a Beyhive gift guide for the holidays
- 'Treacherous conditions' in NYC: Firefighters battling record number of brush fires
- Shawn Mendes Confesses He and Camila Cabello Are No Longer the Closest
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Smithfield agrees to pay $2 million to resolve child labor allegations at Minnesota meat plant
- Tesla issues 6th Cybertruck recall this year, with over 2,400 vehicles affected
- Bridgerton's Luke Newton Details His Physical Transformation for Season 3's Leading Role
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Quincy Jones' cause of death revealed: Reports
Golden Bachelorette: Joan Vassos Gets Engaged During Season Finale
Seattle man faces 5 assault charges in random sidewalk stabbings
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Florida man’s US charges upgraded to killing his estranged wife in Spain
Kim Kardashian and Kourtney Kardashian Team Up for SKIMS Collab With Dolce & Gabbana After Feud
Georgia House Democrats shift toward new leaders after limited election gains